It is definitely a very special time in your life when you get to wear a glamorous gown. Here are some tips on how to select the best fancy prom dresses for that special event in your life as well as tips on selecting good accessories to go with that perfect gown. After all, you want to make this a very memorable day in your life especially since for many girls, it is a rite of passage into adulthood.
Tips for Selecting Prom Dresses
- Set up a budget on how much you would like to spend on the prom dress as well as all of the accessories that you would like to have along with the dress. Many prom dresses can also be found in bridal shops under the label of bridesmaid dresses and in other parts of the store at lower prices than in the prom dress section.
- Know the school rules for what is allowed and not allowed for prom dresses. For example, some schools may not allow spaghetti strap, strapless, and plunging neckline style of gowns. Pick a gown that abides by the rules that the school sets.
- Make sure that you buy your dress at least four to six weeks in advance of the prom night in order to give time to get alterations done. Most formal gowns require alterations for a perfect fit. However, don’t buy your dress too far in advance since you might lose or gain weight before the big day.
- Start the process of selecting your prom dress several months ahead of the prom night. Look through magazine, model runways, and stores to see the styles that you like.
- Decide what fabric that you would like your prom dress to be made of. There are many different kinds of fabric to choose from such as satin, velvet, tulle, chiffon, organza, and lace, and many others.
- Match your dress to your body shape. See the following article on a discussion on different body shapes and the most flattering dresses for each shape: Different Body Shapes
- Match your neckline of the dress to your face shape. If you have an oval shaped face, you are lucky and can wear any type of neckline you choose to. If you have a round face, you should choose necklines such as the V-neckline, Queen Anne, and empire neckline to make your face look more oval. If you have a triangle face shape, then you should choose necklines such as scoop neck, sweetheart, cowl neck, and Sabrina necklines to add curves to your face. If you have a heart shaped neckline, opt for high or wide necklines that create a horizonal line near the neck. If you have a square face shape, go for scoop necks, sweetheart, Sabrina, and cowl neck styles, while avoiding square neck styles. Lastly, if you have an oblong face shape, avoid V-neck dresses and opt for Sabrina necks and cowl neck styles.
- Decide what color that you want your prom dress to be. If you want a passionate and sensual look, a red colored dress is perfect for you.
- If you have a slim figure, consider wearing a sheath style of dress and if you have a curvy figure, an A-line dress does a good job of highlighting your weight while hiding your hips and thighs.
- Shinier fabric finishes tend to show figure flaws while matte finishes tend to hide unflattering features. This is good to keep in mind when choosing the finish of the fabric of your prom dress.
- If you have a creative flair, you might want to sketch out a picture of the prom dress that you would like and have it tailored for you. Do this in advance to take into account time for any alterations that need to be done. For example, a good tailor can add sleeves to a strapless gown, or add lace over plunging necklines. This could be a way to make an inappropriate dress fit the school rules
Tips for Selecting Accessories to Go with Your Prom Dress
- Make sure that you decide the shoes, bag, and other accessories that you want to wear with your prom dress at least two months in advance of the prom date. This will allow you to try on all the accessories along with the dress at the same time. This will also allow you to return and exchange any accessories that you decide to change your mind on based on how it looks with the dress.
- The shoes that you select should either be a similar color to your dress or be of a color that suits your dress well. If you want to appear taller, you should consider a good pair of heels.
- Don’t go overboard on the jewelry. If your dress is simple, using a heavily jeweled necklace or other jewelry can look very appealing and can draw attention to your jewelry. However, if your dress has a lot of embellishments, it is best to stick to simple jewelry since you want to draw attention to your dress and not on your jewelry.
- Consider wearing a pretty barrette or hair clip to enhance the overall look of your outfit. If you want a princessy look, consider wearing a nice tiara on your head.