Plus sized women often would like to know how to dress to best flatter their figure. The key is to emphasize the parts of the body that are their assets while keeping attention away from the undesirable parts. This is a good and useful guide on how to dress for plus size women that will be very handy when choosing appropriate dresses to wear.
Things to Keep in Mind When Choosing Plus Size Dresses
- Dress for your body shape. You should pick a dress that flatters your figure and you should know your body shape whether it be pear, apple, banana, or hourglass. Keep in mind that many women don’t fit perfectly into these shapes and have a figure that is somewhere in between.
- Draw in the smallest place in your body to create a corset. Look for a dress that creates a waist for you at your smallest part of your body which is often below the bust line. If the dress does not have this built in shape that creates a waist, it would help to use accessories such a belt or a scarf to create illusion of a waist. If you have a natural waist, wear dresses that emphasize it. If you don’t have much of a waist, create a faux waist by cinching in the smallest part of your silhouette, either through the cut of the dress, or by accessorizing.
- Opt for a dress that fits. Don’t wear a size that is too large since you will look sloppy and larger than you really are. Also, don’t wear dresses that are too small since that will make you look uncomfortable. Also, if the dress is too tight, it will appear to others that you are a larger size than you really are. The best kind of dress that you can get is the true best fit to your shape and this kind of dress will look the best on you.
- The skirt portion of the dress should flow out from the natural or faux waist. This creates a good looking silhouette especially when the skirt is made to flow outwards. This camouflages a large tummy and hips which is very good for flattering the figure of plus sized women.
- Opt for a comfortable style. You should always select a dress style that makes you feel comfortable and that also flatters your body shape. Make sure that your dress complements your curves and flaunts the attractive features in your body while hiding your flaws.
- Fashion tips. Light colors highlight while dark colors hide so if you want to highlight your waist, pick a light colored belt. Also, large patterns on the dress make you look larger, while small patterns on the dress make you look smaller. Opt for small patterns in your dress. Avoid horizontal stripes except in the bust area if you want to enhance your bustline. Diagonal or vertical stripes are good for plus sized women. Avoid ruffles in areas that you want to appear smaller and use ruched or gathered fabric in areas you want to appear smaller.
- Emphasize the assets of your body. An open neckline emphasizes women’s neck and bustline.The V-neck, the sweethart neckline, and the scoop neckline are all flattering necklines for plus size women. Some plus size women feel that because they are big in some places, they can’t show off their best parts. This is simpy not true at all! None of us are perfect but showing off our best parts of our body brings less attention to the less desirable parts.
- Use bold and large jewelry. Bold an large jewelry look very good on plus sized women. On the other hand, tiny earrings and pendants might look lost on you so these should be avoided.
Some Good Types of Dresses for Plus Sized Women
Here are some specific styles to consider when shopping for your plus size dress. These styles are great for many plus sized women, but be sure to try different styles on, to see how they work on your particular body. All of these dresses help to create that fantastic hourglass silhouette.
- A-line dress is a classic dress style that tucks in at the waist and gently tapers down. This kind of dress is flattering for most body types and looks good on plus-sized women.
- Pintuck dress is one of the most recent trends of a modified A-line dress style with a flowing skirt that is very beautiful.
- Maxi dress is a style that can be attractive for a plus size girl if the right style is chosen. Make sure to maintain a defined waist without the loose “mu-mu” look. A slit on the side may be good to break up the bulkiness of a maxi dress. An open neckline at the top of the dress also helps to offset the long length of the dress.
- Wrap (or faux wrap) dress is a shape that is very compatible with a plus sized woman’s body because it is adjustable to any body type and hugs the curves in the body very well. It is important to make sure that there is enough material in the dress to cover your body.
- Con dresses are known as bar dresses and are very tight. and are also good for plus sized women. They can be very attractive and tend to tuck a woman in very well and is highly suitable for evening wear. However, these dresses are very revealing and tend to appeal to women in their twenties.
- Fit and flare dresses are also very flattering on plus sized women. Some common styles include skater dresses, circle dresses, a-line dresses, and midi dresses.
- Shark bite hem dress is a very lovely style that contains an assymetrical hemline which creates a diagonal. This makes the woman look less big and is very flattering for a plus sized woman.
Feel free to leave any comments or questions below about dresses for the fuller figure and I will get back to you soon!